September 6, 2012

Quick Update...

Yesterday I received a call from the receptionist at our doctor's office stating that Dr. Cox wanted to see Jake and I right away. Needless to say, I panicked. It didn't help that Jake was in class and completely unreachable. After about an hour, I was finally able to get through to him. I left work in a hurry and headed to the hospital, full of dread. I kept thinking that if it was good news they could have told me over the phone.

Well, it wasn't good news. But it wasn't exactly bad news either. Our doctor explained that Maycie has an "unusual pericentromeric region on one of her chromosome 3 homologue." Uh, okay... thanks doc!

You better believe I came home to look at a stinkin' picture of a chromosome!


See the circle in the middle called the centromere? Well, on one of Maycie's 46 chromosomes her "little circle" is abnormal.

Dr. Cox sent us straight away to another part of the hospital where Jake and I both gave blood for genetic testing. If either of our tests come back with this same abnormal "circle", Maycie has a high chance of not having any chromosome issues. If our tests come back without this abnormality in either of our DNA, then Maycie will have a chromosome abnormality. What that abnormality might be is completely and totally up in the air at this point. If this is the case, we will do more testing...

Guess what that means? We just entered the second stage of the all too familier "waiting game". Yay us.

4 comments:

Kimberlee said...

Cute new header, Kate. And I capital H.A.T.E the waiting game!

Jami said...

I too love the header! Guess what??!! This is the first time in my life that I am praying that they find that you or Jake are a little "abnormal" ;)!!! (We all know you both are, but wouldnt it be great if they actually PROVE it ;)...oh Kate, I kid, I really just want some happy news for my "Just Me and Him"....and it is coming... "just keep swimming"!!!!

Jessica said...

I was thinking the same thing as Jami lets hope your abnormal!!! Regardless the waiting game stinks and hopefully it is a short waiting game! We love you guys!

Tenae said...

I know I never really see you anymore but I want you to know that I have had your little family in my prayers. You and Jake will be great parents to this wonderful little one.
I don't know if I ever told you but my niece was born with ALL her internal organs on the outside. They didnt catch it in the ultrasound so they were completely unprepared. What a blessing to have your doctors know what is coming so you can prepare, medically and emotionally.
I will pray for the waiting to be short.
Love to you all. ♥