After the “standoff’, I think I finally got the picture. It took me long enough, that’s for sure. But the fact that Jake liked me . . . well, freaked me out. Not because I didn’t like him. It was quite the opposite. It freaked me out because I did like him. And that really rained on my “Kate Doesn’t Date” parade. So I hid my feelings. I refused to let him know that I may have had a huge crush on him.
Well, little did I know, I was doing a fabulous job at hiding my feelings. So good, in fact, that Jake assumed I was less than interested in him. So he decided to once again move on.
Brandy let it slip that this was Jake’s plan. I think that is exactly what I needed to wake up from my “Kate Doesn’t Date” stupor.
But, I was still shy about the whole thing. So I did what anyone would do in the situation. I text him. [it’s the answer to any conversation you need to have but are to shy to go about it]
But, I couldn’t text him as myself. Oh no, that would be way too forward. So, the text went something like this.
So, I need some advice. Let’s say I have this friend. Speaking hypothetically, of course. [yep, I went there] And she has a crush on this boy. But she has been in a relationship for a long time. And she doesn’t know what to do.
Uh, creative right? [Jake and I both agree we may have reached a new level of cheesiness with this]
And he replied,
Well, I bet the guy would understand. You should tell your hypothetical friend to go for it.
And go for it, I did.
***
After this, we spend almost every night together. But Jake was timid. He says he felt like he had to walk on eggshells so I wouldn’t become skittish and change my mind about the whole thing.
So he took it slow. One night, he gave me a hug. Huge monument for us!
A few nights later, he held my hand.
A few more nights and he got up the nerve. He finally kissed me … on the forehead. I had the poor guy so sure I would freak out if he went too fast [which is completely true].
But, his plan really worked in his favor. His acceptance of my need to take things slow was just the thing to show me what a good guy he was.
1 comment:
I usually had to move SUPER slow, so when that brother of yours knocked out the hug/hand holding/kiss in one weekend it was ALMOST too much.. Funny how those things work!
I'm totally loving your story Kate! I'm so glad Jake knew you well enough to know how to handle you! When was all of this happening? Did I even know you yet?
Post a Comment